What to Know About IP Ratings Before Getting Your Phone Wet
IP certification isn’t one of the attributes that people pay more in the process of evaluating the performance of a smartphone however it is crucial for ensuring the functionality of the device over the long-term. IP stands that stands for ingress protection which is a measurement that is part of the internationally recognized standard CEI (International Electrical Commission) 60529 which indicates the level in protection against solid and water particle the electronic parts are protected against.
For instance, a top-of-the-line handset like iPhone 14 Pro Max iPhone 14 Pro Max comes with the IP68 certification, while a different phone, less costly but popular, like that of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 has an IP53 rating . What’s the difference? Little? Let’s see.
In the case of IP, IP degree is represented by two numbers The first one is to represent the protection against dust, and the other for protection from water. In the first instance, the measure that is the six degree range is employed, and in the second case, 9 degrees. . The more value, the greater level of security.
The six levels that protect against particles of solid
- IP0X : no protection.
- IP1X Protected against foreign objects that are larger than 50 millimeters.
- IP2X is protected from foreign objects that are larger than 12.5 millimeters.
- IP3X Protected against foreign objects that are larger than 2.5 millimeters.
- IP4X Protected against foreign objects greater than 1 millimeter.
- IP5X Protected from dust.
- IP6X Dust tight.
IP certification grades are extended. IP certified grades have been extended in the event of liquids:
- IPX0 : no protection.
- IPX1 is effective against vertical drips of water over 10 minutes.
- IPX2 is effective against drips of water on the device when it’s tilted by 15 degree for 10 mins.
- IPX3 – Effective against water spraying on this device in a 60 degree angle, with a volume of 10 liters per minute , and an air pressure of 50-150 kPa.
- IPX4 Effective against water splashes, in any direction, over a period of 10 minutes.
- IPX5 is effective against water jets in any direction, and with an effective water volume of 12.5 milliliters per minute and 30 kPa pressure for a range of 3 meters.
- IPX6 Effective against high-pressure water jets from any direction, and with an effective water flow of 100 liters/minute and 100 kPa of pressure in a radius of 3 meters.
- IPX7 is effective against immersion up to a maximum of one meter for 30 minutes.
- IPX8 Effective against any immersion that is more than 1 meters deep, three is usually used as a benchmark for the time that is specified in the specifications of the maker.
- IPX9 Effective against powerful jets of water with an 80-degree temperature with a volume of 16 liters per minute over two minutes from four angles and at a distance that is 10 centimeters.
Recalling the previous example the iPhone 14 Pro Max is dust-proof and protected against water immersion up up to 6 meters over 30 minutes according to Apple. In contrast Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 is shielded from dust and is not hermetic however, it is recommended to stay clear of splashes of water .